Plan for NB 6.9 Performance improvements
This is an implementation plan for performance-related work targeted for NetBeans 6.9 release. It's based on Critical post 6.8 Topics. It covers work done by all engineering, except routine bugfixing.
- P2, 5dd, Jarda, Standa: Faster indication of start (splash screen)
- P2, 10dd, Pavel: Special slowness detection for editor responsiveness: Go to Type
- P2, Víťa: Use addRecursiveListener in parsing API
- P1: Integrate Felix & OSGi effectiveness in the platform
- P3, Jarda, Tomas M. - Does it make sense to use UseCompressedOops on 64bit? Yes!
- P2, Pavel, Jindra: Special slowness detection for editor responsiveness: Code Completion
- P3: Jindra: Technically functional version of HowToUseUIGesturesCollectorInYourApp ready for Geertjan
- missing slowness detector part, but that depends mostly on improvements in profiler, so the self profiling does not require profiler cluster.
- P3, 15dd, Jarda: Features off demand cd46271930f1
- Lahváč: Issue 179459 - effective error badges for CSL & (potentially) JavaFX (was FitnessForErrorBadges)
- Jarda: Issue 177461: Do not open [Zip|Jar] files when the root FileObject is needed (Go to Type performance)
- Jarda, Víťa: Issue 169991: Scalability for CSL languages
- Dmitry Lipin: Issue 84852: FitnessForNBMs Save bandwidth and download time by compressing NBM files using Pack200.
- Oleg: Make test outputs from UI perf. tests available as build artifacts on Hudson (incl. profiling snapshots of slow operations).
- P2, 20dd?, Petr Hejl, Vince Kreamer: Fix Glassfish registration
- Issue 180979 - more effective Tools->actions registration
- Oleg: Link specific test output folder (as part of build artifacts on hudson) from the test result page in dashboard (so it easy to get e.g. to the profiling snapshots for given results).
- P2, 5dd, Tomas Hurka: Self-profiling working in plain platform, generating snapshots without profiler (incl. new NPS format), Issue 183556
- How to use slowness detector and UIGesturesCollector in platform based applications
- Shall the necessary modules be moved to platform and be branded in nb6.9 cluster?
Tasks to be planned
Tasks considered, but not yet planned; derived from the topics, with priority and resource estimate (in developer weeks).
- P3, 5dd, Tomas Hurka: Native dumps in self-profiling snapshots
- Start jstack --native, send info into messages.log
- Issue 177274: Go to Type performance: Search indexes in better order (main project sooner, open projects then, then the rest)
- P2: Refactoring improvements
- Not, unless found necessary: Issue 26230 Reliable detection of external file changes (native file changes listening)
- Scalability for CSL languages
- Jarda: CSL indexers are still registered in wrong way - reported as a quality bug Issue 180262