Run Configurations for Java SE Projects
- NetBeans 6.0 (tested against 20070419 ~ M9)
- JDK 6.0u1
- Any supported OS (tested on Ubuntu)
- Create a Java application.
- Add to the main method:
System.out.println("First main class.");
- Add a new Java main class. Add to its main method:
System.out.println("Second main class.");
- Click Run (F6). You should see
run: First main class. BUILD SUCCESSFUL
- From the <default> combo in the toolbar, select Customize....
- Click New... (configuration).
- Enter name second and click OK.
- Click Browse... (for main class).
- Pick the second class and click Select Main Class.
- Click OK to close the Properties dialog.
- Click Run; you should see
run: Second main class. BUILD SUCCESSFUL
- Choose <default> again in the combo and click Run;
you should see the first main class again.
- Right-click the project and choose Properties.
- Under Run, switch to second configuration.
- Add -showversion to VM Options. Note that the field's label becomes boldfaced.
- Click OK and Run; you should see
run: java version "1.6.0_01" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_01-b06) Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.6.0_01-b06, mixed mode) Second main class. BUILD SUCCESSFUL
Question: Can I control other things besides Run options?
Answer: You can, though for at least for 6.0 this is not supported through the GUI. For example, go to the Files tab and open nbproject/configs/second.properties. Add:
With the configuration set to second, press Clean and Build Main Project (S-F11). You should see
Compiling 2 source files to /tmp/JavaApplication1/build/classes java version "1.6.0_01" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_01-b06) Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0_01-b06, mixed mode, sharing) compile:
Generally, anything normally set in project.properties can be overridden on a per-configuration basis. The Properties dialog outside the Run panel will only show the contents of project.properties, however.