Topics of post-6.0 work in Core & Platform areas in NetBeans
see CorePlatformAndProjectsPlan67 for more recent followup
Open unscheduled topics
- recognize that a user is using NetBeans only for profiling his project (e.g an Eclipse project) and suggest importing the project into NetBeans (-> jsedlacek)
- Packaging a project output into an OSGi bundle - OSGi is becoming more widespread, and for example, GlassFish v3 can be extended through OSGi bundles.
- improvements in project import and more precise autoconfiguration of freeform based on analysis of the build script
( AutomaticProjects) (#135157)
- utilizing Maven repositories and index to resolve 3rd party library problems. Using Maven remote repositories for creating NetBeans library definitions.
( MavenIndexingOnePager) (#134677)
- merge "from Scratch" and "with Existing Sources" project wizards
- improve UI for resolving broken references
- performance improvements
- If you change a single file (particularly in a platform application), then running the application invokes a lot of ant targets and takes a long, long time. Perhaps this could be improved somehow to eliminate any unnecessary steps.
- elimination of copy&pasted code in the many existing project types
- possibility to do optimizations in one place
- write once & use in all project types for certain features (e.g. includes/excludes)
- different levels of reuse, something applies to ant projects only, something is more general
- extending the support to better cover advanced usecases
(any VOC about this? how many users who would profit from this potentially?)
- profiling, debugging, deployment for web and j2ee projects
- make webframeworks work (visual web)
- dependency graphing and analysis (also useful for Ivy support)
- catch up on project configuration capabilities (customizer panels etc) to make it comparable to ant projects.
- fixing launcher issues - New Windows launcher, #85228
- fix appearance of NetBeans on Mac OS X look and feel (#132291)
- TC persistency changes - PERSIST_LAYOUT option + adoption of Preferences API
- merge various Output and Result windows (#123429) - requested by xDesign, agreed as nice to have only
- common status line (#123344) - requested by xDesign, old window system relic, we're likely the only IDE that takes up space with the status line that's dedicated to editor
- style text in editor tabs
- tasklist API enhancement for triggering actions
- possibility for real embedded web browser - could be WebKit which will be included in JDK 6u10 - evaluation was done; because WebKit will not be available via public API in JDK 6u10 using WebKit in NetBeans is postponed
- module system changes - compatibility with JSR 277
(what is the right moment to start working on this?)
- incorporate 3rd party libraries without library wrapper modules - use Maven for 3rd-party libraries, either in apisupport or directly in module system
- related to JSR 277 as Stanley Ho reported that he has a bridge between JSR 277 APIs and Maven
- Print APIs and Preview - adopting what has been suggested by entpack team
but was not suitable for acceptance in platform in the form suggested
- multiview redesign to serve the reqs accumulated
- palette improvements - preview instead of icon
- Wizard API is waiting for redesign for long time
- Impl of IZ 55627: Double clicking the project template should move to next step
- actions support module - get rid of another SharedClassObject subclass - e.g. give people a chance to easy write their actions without the need to subclass NodeAction, CookieAction or co.
- running platform on top of Consumer JRE
- running platform as an applet?
(hard security issues -jglick)
- API for reading Proxy Settings, writing only via Options (friend API for writing Proxy Settings)
- search in Options dialog
- reset options to defaults #138595
- #140164 Turn off/on search highlighting in Javahelp content viewer. We will need to contribute this to Javahelp to implement this. Issue refers to Eclipse where this feature is available.
- review UI of JavaHelp viewer and possibly make it more "modern"?
- (hard without rewrite of apisupport -jglick)
- many more wizards
- Geertjan has wizard for "enhanced file type" - with multiview, with visual library, etc.
- tasklist wizard
- CLI option wizard
- (bad priority, we have far better things to do -jglick)
- More GUI support for working with window system: defining new modes, editing .wstcref and .settings files
- support in build harness for building setup packages (preferably with a bundled JRE), just as you can build ZIP distributions now. see Tonny Kohar's blog for an example, but maybe OpenInstaller is an option too.
- create API to allow other people to write their own wizards (maybe with FreeMarker)
- make explorer views more matisse friendly - e.g. create their own category in component palette, add setExplorerManager/getExplorerManager to views.
- rewrite layer nodes (see IZ #72541)
- needs improved UI to be integrated more transparently
- IDE As Big As You Want it ( FeatureOnDemand)
- Download NBMs/Offline mode ( OfflineMode) without installing them
- leveraging Plugin Portal - tighter communication between users and developers of plugins
from within the IDE (commenting and rating plugins, viewing stats about the plugins - #downloads)
- reading additional data from PP (#downloads, ratings, comments) - showing them, allowing searching and sorting
- allowing user to write data to PP (ratings, comments) - could be delegated to a web page on PP
- change logs for NBMs
- APIsupport could allow this at the moment developer is increasing module version
- logging of changes done through autoupdate - for the user's view, or for sending to support/attaching to issue
- displaying more advanced information about plugins - dependencies, installation directory,...
- CLI client?
- support for Service Pack ( NB6PatchingProcess) - NO!
- support for language packs?
(current implementation with dummy modules seems to be enough even for community contributed localizations, so the support for real language packs may be unnecessary)
- rollback of updates?
(makes sense only if we want to put more emphasis on sustaining older !NetBeans releases) -- well, supporting older releases is important for platform applications.
- task-focused UI (what is it all about actually? and how big change this would be?)
- mkleint: can turn quite big, needs integration with issue tracking systems, complex manipulations with user's IDE desktop.
- tips and context sensitive help based on user's workflow
- simplification and stability - rewrite some parts of collaboration support (filesharing)
- employing the collaboration support (chat, filesharing, ...?)
in a much bigger team collaboration feature (TBD, cross-team effort)
- Continuous integration server integration, also touches projects area.
Topics completed in 6.5
- Do not assume VM is running on JDK (#135512, #136269, #136354)
- key metrics - #138955, KeyMetrics, KeyMetricsUISpec, KeyMetricsImplementationNotes
- enhanced JNLP support for the changes introduced in JDK 6u10
(see JNLP support in the New Java Plug-In Technology), (#134680), UI Spec
- enhanced import of Eclipse projects (#135158) ( EclipseProjectSupport)
Scoped for 6.5 as a one-way import. ( EclipseProjectImportOnePager)
- remote repository browsing, querying, management, bootstrapping version control checkout.
- explorer+nodes performance improvements (#121913) ( FitnessViaLaziness)
- UNC paths usage - in filesystems and also in the rest of the product (#46813)
- treetable view redesign (33281)
- Options (#109538) - API+impl for opening Options dialog with preselected subcategories, e.g. panels in Miscellaneous
- finish killing advanced options (#105589, #133773)
- support for informational error messages in wizards (#137737)
- Expand uniqueID by one additional unique number unrelated to userdir (#137113)
- slightly changed behavior of balloon-like tooltip (#125119)
- changed default layout of windows ( UI Spec)
- fix bugs on Nimbus L&F (#120656)
- modify sliding windows to support original window sizes (#135318)
- (partially) add new API for configuring existing visual aspects of window system - enable/disable DnD, floating windows, JFrames x jDialogs, tab layouts, sliding windows on/off, fixed layout. (#134670)
Various UI issues
- Tasklist - visual finetuning of the window (#138189)
- Quick Search (#134398), UI and Func spec
- explain icon badges in tooltips(#123469)
- allow drag and drop of text selected in editor window into the common palette to create new code clips (#93002)
Topics completed in 6.1
- shared libraries ( OutOfBoxVersionability, #89629)
- UI changes in New Project wizard to make it more clear what freeform should be used for and that many users really want to use Java Project with Existing Sources ( ThingsToDoToAvoidUsingFreeformProjectForPeopleWhoDonTReallyNeedIt)
- filesystem simplifications
- Plugin Manager non-modal dialog box
- downloading plugins on background (#98870)
- wizard for automatic resolving of broken dependencies - Missing Modules Resolver available on Beta UC of 6.1
- semitransparent lightweight popup window which indicates that some updates of plugins are available. (#122751)
- stabilize APIs/SPIs (#19930)
- Allow setting AU check interval programmatically
- user registration (NbRegistration), service tags