New and Noteworthy in Milestone 10
- New default color scheme and some additional schemes. Please let us know which what how you like it here: 74730
- New shortcuts. Feedback should go to: 91277
- Syntax coloring for .sh, .bat, .diff and .mf files added.
App Server Interaction
- User-settable timeouts for startup and deployment with SJSAS and GF servers available on a new Options tab of the Server Manager for SJSAS/GF domains.
- [Per-Instance directory deployment support option available on a new Options tab of the Server Manager for SJSAS/GF domains.
- Profiled domain creation support: when the user creates a domain based on GF V2, the user can select the profile used to create the domain.
- Improved processing for registration of root installed SJSAS/GF servers: if the platform selected has no writable default domains, the default choice is switched to 'Create Personal Domain'
There is a screencast of many of these features, in action.
- Improved performance
- New Hints
- New Refactorings
- Go To File
- JavaDoc tooltips in Navigator window
- Find Usages
- RHTML support
- Debugging (breakpoints, stepping etc. in RHTML files)
- Code completion
- Go to declaration
- Find Usages
- Improved code completion - attributes, Rails migrations, models and views now include all the expected methods, etc.
- Enhanced RDoc rendering; embedded Ruby and RHTML code fragments are now syntax highlighted
- Debugger enhancements (global vars, watch view, locals view)
- Encoding support (projects now have an encoding property)
- Basic RSpec and ZenTest support (More Info), basic RJS support
- JRuby 1.0 is bundled
Redesigned Find / Replace dialog(s)
- Limited integration with refactoring
- Method breakpoints and field breakpoints are annotated in editor gutter via triangles. They can be submitted in a similar manner to line breakpoints, on method headers and field declarations.
- Condition for number of iterations added into breakpoint dialogs.
- Attach Debugger menu item is added as a drop down menu from Debug Main Project button
- Non-modal solution of an informational dialog, which is displayed when a breakpoint is hit in another thread during step operation.
- Timed & Triggered HeapDump / Take Snapshot Profiling Points, Load Generator Profiling Point
- Alt-F8 shortcut for new Profiling Points
- GC activity visualization
- Profiling overhead visualization in Select Task Panel
- Heapwalker info panel
- Navigation in Heapwalker (Back & Forward buttons)
- Attach Profiler action added as a drop down menu item to Profile Main Project action in IDE toolbar
- Versioning Output is a new window component showing output of versioning commands in a structured way. Currently only the CVS Update laverages this component. After an Update operation finishes the Versioning Output window lists all files that have been updated, removed or conflicted during the update. You can also open listed files in editor or resolve conflicts from there.
- Struts 1.3.x files are recognized by the IDE
- Java refactoring is propagated into the faces-config.xml files.
- JSF 1.1 library was replaced by JSF 1.2 (license issue, JSF 1.1 was under Sun Binary Code License, JSF 1.2 is under CDDL) 95947
- Migrate Visual Web Java Refactoring to Retouche 90533
- Implement Package and folder level Rename and Move refactoring. 104532
- Visual Query Editor is now accessible for DB Explorer. 90447
- Visual Consumption of EJB 2.1 in Visual web apps 90455 (See limitation below.)
- Completion of Web Services consumption - test node action, make it confirm to the web service functionality in NetBeans
- User dir migration from Creator 2, 2u1, NB 5.5 or 5.5.1 to NB 6.0 99740
- Resolving data source references 94804
- DataSourceNaming 88871
- Completion of Page flow editor functionalities - dealing with mutiple faces-config files. 97896
- Performance improvements
- Open source rowset implementation used by Visual Web
- More Ajax enabled components from Project Woodstock
- RadioButton Group, Checkbox Group, Listbox, TextArea, Anchor, Hyperlink, ImageHyperlink, Calendar. Project woodstock Road map
Known Issues for M10 Milestone
- Visual Consumption of EJB 2.1 in Visual web apps 90455 This feature allows the web apps to consume Session EJBs hosted on app servers such as Sun, WebLogic, and WebSphere with a limitation. Web app itself needs to be test deployed on a Sun app server for the automatic configuration to work. If you want to host the web app in another app server, you must manually configure the EJB reference to JNDI binding which is container specific. When deploying your web app on a production server using the export war feature, this manual configuration step is part of the Java EE deployment process which is container specific.
- Web Service consumption in Visual web applications using Tomcat 6.0. 108524. The user must manually add the JAX-WS 2.1 library to the project after adding a web service client from the Runtime tab. On JDK 6, the user must also copy the jars in $nbInstallDir/java1/modules/ext/jaxws21/api to $tomcat6dir/endorsed.
- Resource conflict on Glassfish when page uses 2 datasources from same database. 107697. This causes 2 connection pools with the same name to be defined in the sun-resources.xml. As a result deployment fails. Workaround is to change the pool name at the following 2 locations in the sun-resources.xml file:
- Second connection pool entry.
- Second jdbc resource definition.
- Cannot Deploy application after a new page is added 107526. Workaround is to try deployment again and it will work.
- Null Pointer Exception on creating J2EE 1.4 project with 'Do not Append Library' option selected On Tomcat 6 107275. Workaround is to create such a project with JSF 1.1 library being defined instead of using the 'Do not Append Library' option.
- Expose partner services to RESTful web service developers. These partner services when DnD create URIs for clients to consume these services. There are 5 StrikeIron services added in the palette by default. The yahooNewssearch is also a new REST based service we expose via the palette.
- REST Test client now accepts query params to invoke URIs.
- RESTful services can be created without tie into any entity classes so someone can have a skeleton service created applying some patterns which they can add business logic into.
For details, see: SimpleWsldRestServiceDemo
- JAXB wizard support for web, ejb and java projects.
- Web Services creation visual editor allows to rename operations.
- JAXRPC web service and clients are now working as they were for Nb 5.5
- Editor hints for web service annotations are enabled.
- Visual designer has new look and feel.
- Visual designer allows selection of operation and Remove opearation button listening to the selection.
- WSIT related features are shown in Policy Configuration and they operate as checkboxes.
- Added XML Schema move Refactoring.
- Added XML Schema refactoring preview for Rename/Move/Delete.
- Improved code completion on XML Schema documents.
- Lot of other bug fixes.
- The ExtensibilityElementTemplateProvider SPI is now public.97238
- Added GoTo WSDL or Design view from source view 97533
- Property sheet is automatically updated when moving through source in the source view.
- Improved the performance of the tree view. Fixed some memory leaks.
- Keyboard shortcuts to validation work 84846
- Other bug fixes.
Positional ordering attributes in XML layers
Rather than relative ordering attributes, NetBeans 6 uses numeric sorting. This affects NetBeans module development. For details, see: FolderOrdering103187
Improvements in JMS area
- New Message-Driven Bean dialog
- Send JMS Message dialog
- Input for running program can be entered directly into the output window. No more separate text field for input.
Self-signing for Java Web Start
- Java Web Start support in IDE allows to sign jar files of java project by self-signed certificate. Key-pair is generated during project build.
- If you already have own keystore, you might find useful the faq about using own keystore.
Improved Directory Chooser
- Directory chooser for opening projects now uses tree for directory structure, supports double click to project open, fast keyboard path completion and has improved look especially on GTK.
- Chooser on Windows
- ...and on Ubuntu Linux
Plugin Manager understands plugins composed from several single modules
- A group of modules can be declared as a once plugin (aka feature) on Update Center. Plugin Manager handles it as a standalone plugin.
- It allows to distribute IDE components like Ruby, SOA etc. as plugin in Plugin Manager. An user can complete her/his IDE installation by Plugin Manager.
- Plugin Manager handles also standalone NetBeans modules detached from standard IDE components.
- Moreover if someone would like to manage NetBeans modules regardless plugins she can choose NetBeans modules view in Plugin Manager's Settings tab.
- Editor will switch to the most recently used document tab when a document is closed
- Source Code Synchronization
In addition to being able to save generated source code into new source files, you now also have the ability to merge generated source code into existing source files. There are two types of source code that is possible in a source file. The first type is source that is generated via the UML code generation. The second is source code that is written by the user. There will be times when the user may want to override the code that is generated using the templates. To give the user the ability to override the code that is generated, annotations are used to direct code generation what areas are controlled by code generation.
The above example demonstrates a Java method that is generated by the code generation mechanism. The source code synchronization process will replace the entire method 'foo', when synchronizing the source code. To override the implementation of 'foo', the UML Marker must be removed. The source code synchronization process will no longer replace the 'foo' method during code generation.
The UML Marker has the following format:
// <editor-fold defaultstate="collapsed" desc=" UML Marker "> // #[Regen=yes,id=DCE.4C30BCAA9D8D947395A29D0A9A5724E2] // </editor-fold>
Source code entered by the user can also be included in the synchronization mechanism by inserting an abbreviated form of the marker:
// #[Regen=yes] public int i;
followed by reverse engineering of the source file. The attribute "i" will remain synchronized between model and source during reverse engineering and code generation actions.
- Code generation now uses Freemarker templates to generate code. Users are now able to edit the templates.
Access the Code Generation templates area via Tools > Templates and expand the UML folder in the NetBeans Template Manager dialog.
- Code generation is now extensible. The new Domain Templates panel has been added to the UML Options window. The template panel allows users to manage the templates that can be used during UML code generation. Each template has a set of properties that can be assigned. The properties determine when a template can be executed.
- A Domain Templates category has been added to the UML project customizer. The Domain Templates category is used to specify the templates that are to be executed during code generation. Each UML project can use a different set of templates.
- Preferences have been moved from the Advanced Options dialog to the standard Options dialog, accessible via Tools > Options.
Known UML Issue for Milestone 10
- Issue 108119 Changes to a UML project is lost when the UML module is deactivated or uninstalled.
- Workaround: Save the UML project before deactivating or uninstalling the UML plugin. This action also saves all modified diagrams, if any.
- Predicates support in XSLT
- Improved transformmap schema in XSLT
- Copy/Paste in BPEL diagram
- Support BC-to-BC connection in CASA Editor 104539
- Add JavaEE project support in CASA Editor 104542
- Support typed environment variables in JBI Manager 101680
- Support cross-project reference in Composite Applicaiton 101683
- Move DCOM, FTP, HL7, IMS, JDBC, SMTPMAIL, EMAIL, MQ, MSMQ, SAP, SMTP and SNMP out from NetBeans SOA Pack to OpenESB. You can get those bindings if you use the NetBeans from the OpenESB installer, which can be downloaded here.
BluePrints module moved
The Java BluePrints Solutions Catalog (available from the Help menu) and the corresponding sample projects were moved from the standard NetBeans distribution to the Update Center.
Dropped Features for NetBeans 6
- JSF Portlets support
- Ability to Import HTML Pages into Visual JSF framework
- Project-specific libraries
Back to NewAndNoteWorthy