NetBeans Community Acceptance Testing program (NetCAT)
Welcome to the NetBeans IDE community testing initiative! If you have not heard about NetCAT before, please read what it's all about. Simply put, the goal of NetCAT program is to get early feedback on the main features and confirmation from NetBeans community that quality of the product is ready for FCS release.
Both NetCAT program and Community Acceptance (CA) survey are open for the whole NetBeans community in order to obtain as much objective feedback on Beta and RC builds quality as possible. We kindly ask all potential participants to read responsibilities of NetCAT participant before joining the program in order to understand and adhere to NetCAT etiquette rules.
Members of the NetCAT program enjoy special privileges. Bugs submitted by participants get special attention from both NetBeans developers and QE engineers. NetCAT participants can also edit Wiki pages without CAPTCHA checks and their exception reports are immediately filed as new bugs. Finally, the most helpful members will receive a special gift for the voluntary work plus recommendation via LinkedIn. The most important thing is that we want our community to accept the NetBeans IDE 7.2 release. Your views and opinions are important to us so don't hesitate and join NetCAT program!
Smooth communication and gathering quality feedback in the NetCAT program is based on the following elements:
|Mailing list||Archived e-mail alias email@example.com for communication between NetCAT team members.|| [View archive] |
[View Gmane archive]
[View Nabble archive]
|Web forum||Web accessible forum for communication of NetCAT team members. Access is granted one week after formation of the NetCAT team.||[Access forum]|
|Simple bug forms||A special one-step form to submit issues and a simplified bug query form for quick and easy use.|| [Report new issue] |
[Search an issue]
|Dashboard||Overall bug dashboard includes NetCAT column reflecting quality status of NetBeans development builds according to NetCAT team.||[Take a look]|
|Reported issues statistic||Comparison of activity of individual NetCAT participants in terms of submitted bugs.|| [Take a look]|
|CA survey||Special form prepared for Community Acceptance phase where everybody from NetBeans users community get a chance to express their opinions on RC build quality and release readiness.|| [Preview] |
This is a rough plan of important announcements, milestones and tasks scheduled for the 3 months during the NetCAT program. It is also available as Google Calendar.
- 3/10 - NetCAT 7.2 announced, volunteers start joining
- 3/19 - Tribes creation through 3/23
- 3/22 - Testing daily builds started
- 3/30 - Test specifications reviewed
- 4/11 - NetBeans 7.1.2 testing through 4/16
- 4/17 - First weekly report sent
- 4/27 - Beta readiness check through 5/1 - canceled
- 5/2 - Test specifications updated
- 5/10 - Documentation review started
- 5/22 - Normalized full testing started
- 5/23 - Beta released
- 6/4 - Top voted bugs check point
- 6/11 - Early CA research through 6/14
- 6/15 - Final CA survey questions defined
- 6/15 - Sanity certification of RC through 6/19
- 6/28 - RC released, CA survey opened
- 6/29 - Final certification through 7/10
- 7/9 - CA survey closed, results processed
- 7/13 - NetCAT satisfaction survey through 7/18
- 7/17 - Last weekly report sent
- 7/19 - FCS released, NetCAT game over
- 7/24 - NetCAT brainstorming (transcript)
The NetCAT 7.2 program has been officially closed. Community Acceptance survey has been closed and results are publicly available. We have also published activity of all NetCAT 7.2 participants. Results from Satisfaction survey are available too. Finally, you can take a look at activity charts comparing NetCAT 7.2 program with average activity calculated from previous 6 NetCAT programs.
Disclaimer: The content of this NetBeans development wiki page is intended for pre-planning purposes ONLY. The development, release, and timing of any feature or functionality described here should not be treated as final, and is subject to change at any time at the sole discretion of Oracle. For information about NetBeans software releases please visit the NetBeans Roadmap. Insert non-formatted text here