Plan for NB 6.10 Performance improvements
This is an implementation plan for performance-related work targeted for NetBeans 6.10 release. It's based on post 6.9 performance topics and NB 6.10 performance goals. It covers work done by all engineering teams, except routine bugfixing.
- Oleg: Renewed Comparative dashboard
- David, Oleg: Editor typing tests - existing tests fixed + new tests suitable to test the new view hierarchy
- David, Oleg: Editor typing tests - measuring new view hierarchy (switch -J-Dorg.netbeans.editor.linewrap=true)
- Jarda: Go to Type - prototype demonstrating desired availability and performance: File:Uber-goto-type-cache.diff
- Jesse: Issue 157283 - Declaratively load lookup items for Maven packaging types
- Jarda: Dump occupied file descriptors on Unix into log
- Jarda, Tomas Stupka: VCS-FS interaction on renaming folders -- agree on solution. RefactoringFSandVCS
- Tomas Zezula: Index in memory for fast Go to Type (Issue 177274): automatically reserve part of heap permanently, rest as soft-references.
- Tomas Hurka, Jirka Sedlacek: Time line in Profiler for long CPU snapshots (especially from self-profiling). See InstantFitness.
- Jarda: FitnessViaCLITimeLine - sample any application (e.g. NetBeans startup), analyze it in a timeline.
September 20 (Feature Freeze)
- Statistics for people who turned off checking of external changes. See scanning statistic
- VCS-FS interaction on renaming folders -- do something. RefactoringFSandVCS
- Petr Nejedly, Tomas Zezula: Native file listeners
- Martin Entlicher: Fast debugger stepping
- Oleg: Measuring project's classpath modification
- Tomas Hurka: Adjusted UI to start/stop IDE self profiling
- Tomas Hurka: Integrate profiling snapshots with UI gestures, make exception reporter (statistics.netbeans.org) provide new NPSS snapshots together with the UI gestures data. (May require a new format for one file holding both the snapshot and the UI estures data.)
- All: Measuring performance of sample projects: for selected sample projects of various size measure typical performance characteristics (e.g. a subset of comparative dashboard) to give our users some reference numbers of what performance they can expect
- Part of Java/Editor improvements