JDK8 Support in NetBeans
A prelimary JDK8 support is available in current NetBeans daily builds.
A build of NetBeans that provides better support for JDK8 features, which may not yet be part of the daily builds is available here.
The new Java SE features supported by the build are:
- JSR 335: Lambda expressions and virtual extension methods and Generalized Target-Type Inference. Bulk data operations are also supported with JDK lambda builds
- Repeatable Annotations and Annotation on Types
- Access to Parameter Names at Runtime
- Compact Profiles
Many features, including code completion, code highlighting, go to declaration, have been updated to know about these new language features.
Two new convertors are available to:
- automatically convert suitable anonymous innerclasses into lambda expressions
- automatically detect for-each loops that can be converted to use the new bulk data operations APIs and convert them
Both these convertors can also be applied to the whole project via the
Refactor/Inspect and Transform.
An new inspection was introduced to verify that a project adheres to a given Compact Profiler.
Development of JDK
When developing JDK or OpenJDK 8 itself, rather than a Java application based on JDK8, please use these builds for now. These builds are tweaked to support the project types required to develop (Open)JDK itself, and are not needed for development of general applications.