NetBeans Fitness Program
Home page for NetBeans 6.8 performance
Release 6.7 (more at Fitness67) introduced many improvements with respect to scalability, stability, UI responsiveness, memory leaks and other performance aspects. Alas, at the same time we started to face new challenges. The Parsing API arrived and whole editor infrastructure adopted it, resulting in a lot of instability and non-perfectness. As such the room for further improvements is there. NetBeans 6.8 is here to exploit it.
Critical Areas for NetBeans 6.8
- Quality work, fine tuning (more on FitnessViaPostMortem, FitnessViaSamples, FitnessWithoutTouches, tests, etc.)
- Scanning/indexing ( FitnessViaParsingAndIndexing, etc.)
- Scalability (more on FitnessViaDeclaration)
- Revolutionary ( Scan On Demand experimental work)
To get an overall picture of what the improvements look like for the users, read the Performance Press Release. If you wonder why we started our work with a press release, read about Working Backwards.
- Main performance problems - post 6.7 performance topics
- NB 6.8 performance plan - implementation plan
- Post 6.8 performance topics
- 6.7 Performance - homepage of the 6.7 performance effort
- 6.5 Performance - homepage of the 6.5 performance effort
- 6.1 Performance - homepage of the 6.1 performance effort (aka Visible improvements in critical areas)
- FitnessIsWhen - study to find out how exactly people perceive performance of NetBeans IDE