Can I use UNC paths in NetBeans IDE?
Yes. What works now:
- create/open project at UNC path
- build project on UNC path. You have to use the version of Ant bundled with the IDE, which is the default (Issue 146948).
- start IDE with userdir/jdkhome in UNC path
- start IDE in UNC path
- add JDK platform in UNC path to IDE
- place IDE in a UNC drive using the installer
What doesn't work (yet)
- Building Javadoc on a project on a UNC path will probably fail, due to an apparent bug in the javadoc tool.
- Building a project on a UNC path using stock Ant 1.7.1. Ant 1.7.0 may work, and Ant 1.7.2/1.8.0 should work too.
- You cannot cd to a UNC path in cmd.exe, making it harder to test command-line Ant builds. You can however use
ant -f server\path\project\build.xml(unless using Ant 1.7.1).
- File -> URL/URI conversion does not currently work very well for UNC paths in Java, so if your program manipulates files using URL/Is and your data files are on a UNC drive, it may encounter problems.
Applies to: NetBeans IDE >= 6.5
See also: Issue 46813