Core Plan 7.2 (Extended Platform team's plan)
Disclaimer: The content of this NetBeans development wiki page is intended for pre-planning purposes ONLY. The development, release, and timing of any feature or functionality described here should not be treated as final, and is subject to change at any time at the sole discretion of Oracle. For information about NetBeans software releases please visit the NetBeans Roadmap.
- Limited export of passwords: #171900
- More annotations for common APIs: [MoreDeclarativeRegistrationUsingAnnotations]
- Enable quick search in Outline View #110686
- *TBD* Allow reload Network Proxy Setting in running IDE session - #148534
- improved Windows 7 support - #178273 - producing 64-bit launcher
- performance - #196075 - separation of cachedir and the rest of userdir into to paths by default (a followup to --cachedir option introduced in 7.1)
- Cleanup of Options categories (Misc, Java) - #200878
- Improve handling licenses in Plugin Manager #200765
- Enhance Autoupdate API to allow listening on build cache/search/install
- Ability for a feature to depend on another feature? (#205998)
- Allow to install a OSGi bundle manually via Plugin Manager
- Debugger does not work while scanning #202573
- Add code-completion to breakpoint dialogs
- Enable/disable breakpoints from other breakpoints
- "List view" in Variables and Watches. In the form of <variable> = <value>
- Nice to have: show bytecode when debugging without sources. A possibility of adding support for decompilers can be considered. (~3-4w)
- Zoom of the application snapshot
- Allow to define a shortcut that will start/stop logging of events. (1d)
- Incorporate suggestions and corrections to visual debugger functionality by users
- Nice to have: Visual debugging functionality on the real application (not on a snapshot).
- Sandbox area for testing regular expressions
- Find and Replace in Projects improvements
- Instant search while typing search parameters (live search preview)
Versionings and Bugtrackings
- SVN 1.7 supported by new version of SvnKit
- Efficient and scalable bugtracking API
- Redesign search history - Spec
- VCS history in editor tab - #201708
- Git API public
- Mercurial Queues - use cases
- Enhance annotation/blame bar in editor - #202314
- Allow diffing against any revision - #189273
Broad areas of possible improvements:
- better POM fidelity: generated source root detection, JUnit config for CoS, etc.
- more GUI controls for changes to POM
- enhanced editor hints, templates, completion, etc. for pom.xml
- workflow tools: releasing components, preparing custom patches, upload JAR
- converting non-Maven sources (e.g. NB Ant-based projects)
- more complete NBM development support
- multimodule dependency visualization (graphic and/or DSM)
- in-VM agent for (3.0.3+) builds to permit better output display, possibly supporting multithreaded builds with multiple output tabs
- (re-)consider arranging templates in New Project by technology rather than segregating Maven
- "blacklist" Java usages of too-new JDK features (acc. to Animal Sniffer plugin), undeclared (indirect) dependencies, unexported packages (NBM/OSGi)
- Show close buttons in editor list drop-down menu
- Show non-document windows when switching between windows using CTRL+TAB keyboard shortcut.
- Rewrite UI for multi-view tabs - allow tabs to be placed at the bottom, add drop down menu if there are too many tabs to fit the screen, allow custom UI for the multiview tabs.
- Rewrite main menu bar - show some visual feedback that menu is loading instead of populating it with fake actions and replacing them with real ones when finally loaded.
- Toolbar overflow - if toolbar is too wide to fit to the screen, show additional buttons in some sort of drop down menu.
- Editor splitting - same functionality as JDeveloper has
- Visual editor for window layout
- More eye candy when dragging windows - better visual feedback when dragging a group of windows. Better reordering or editor windows (see Firefox tabs reordering)